Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How Long Till This Goes Bad?


How many should I buy? I'm inevitably faced with this question (and I know a lot of you are too). I don't want to buy more than my family can use.

Such was the case again this week. Giant Eagle has Breakstone's sour cream on sale (starting Thursday) for $1.25/1 - $0.55/1 (1/24/SS - my GE doubles coupons up to $0.99) = $0.15/1. So, how long will this keep in the fridge? Can it be frozen? What's the best way to keep it from going bad? I need to answer all these questions before I can really evaluate how many I want to buy. (I must admit, up until now, I've been doing a lot by trial and error.)

In general, I either purchase as many items as I have coupons for, or I've been getting as much as I have room for, or as much as we can comfortably afford. But at $0.15/1 we could comfortably afford a LOT of sour cream and I have a lot of coupons. So back to the original question, how long will this keep before it goes bad?

Answer: It will keep around 10 to 14 days after the expiration date. And it does NOT freeze well.

StillTasty has storage information and tips on hundreds of food items. Why didn't I find this sooner? I could have used it around Christmas time with cream cheese and other things on sale. And did you know that foods kept constantly frozen at 0 degrees Fahrenheit will keep safe indefinitely. (Ok, I don't keep my freezer that cold, but it is an interesting tidbit.) I foresee frequent visits there in the future. Already my mind is swimming with times I could have used this website. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment