Monday, August 30, 2010

CVS Deals and Transaction Scenarios 8/29 - 9/4

I started putting together scenarios in July after talking with a friend who insisted that you could shop at CVS for FREE after an initial $25 investment. If this was true, it would work well with my budget. : ) So I decided to give it a try.

Step 1: Buy a $25 CVS gift card. (This helps you to see how much of your initial investment money you've spent.) Tip: If you have to actually buy your $25 gift card, buy it from somewhere that gives you rewards for your purchase (your local grocery store perhaps, Upromise, MyPoints). (I'm a member of MyPoints which allows you to earn pts. for looking at advertisements, among other things. It's slow going, but it doesn't cost me any money. I look at one or two a day and wait for my pts. to accumulate. When I have enough I can redeem them for gift cards. So, to jump start my CVS shopping I redeemed some of my pts. for a $25 gift card.)

Step 2: Get a CVS ExtraCare card (ask for one in the store) and a CVS Green Bag Tag. The tags cost about $1. Hook that tag around any reusable shopping bag (it can even be a plastic CVS bag from a previous purchase) and remember to take it with you to CVS. Every time you go in and make a purchase be sure to have the cashier scan your tag. (Your card will only record 1 scan per day.) You will earn $1 ECB every 4th time the tag is scanned. : ) (Your Green Bag Tag can be used with any CVS ExtraCare card. So the next time you go CVS shopping with a friend, let them use your tag too. Both your card and your friend's card will record one scan.)

Step 3: Clip/gather your coupons and get ready to go shopping. If this is your first trip to CVS you will not have the ECBs to pay for purchase #1. That's okay. This is where you will want to use your $25 gift card to pay for your purchases.

Note: CVS will not accept any internet coupon with a barcode that does NOT scan.

This looks to be a slow week again at CVS. I'll try to get by there early this week. I'm waiting to see what the CRT coupons will be (those are the coupons that print when you scan your card at the big red box.) If there's a $/$$ coupon in the mix, then I'll have to come back and put another transaction together.

Another thing that I have noticed is that CVS tends to be continually out of ECB items.  : )  (I know some of you are thinking . . . "You just noticed. . . "  Don't forget that I have three little kids to keep track of. Sometimes the non-kid stuff just escapes me.) I'm finding that for the most part I'm not able to follow my own scenarios. (I know that at RA I sometimes also have this trouble, but not as often - at least not every scenario. And when it happens at RA it's easy enough to substitute something else into the scenario. At CVS, a lot of times, that ECB item IS the scenario. Anyway, I will probably be changing up the way I put together the weekly CVS posts. I'm going to think on it this week. If anyone has any comments, requests, or suggestions let me know. I'd love to hear what you guys want or think.

WEEKLY PURCHASES

Day 1 / Purchase #1 (Sun, Mon, and Tues. ONLY)

1 Philips headphones (pg. 16) $6.99/1 OOP
- $6.99 ECB (Limit 1) = FREE

2 Dawn (pg. 1) $0.97/1 = $1.94/2
- $1/2 Dawn Ultra Plus, exp. 9-30-10 (P&G 08/29/10) = $0.94/2 OOP
[or $0.25/1 Dawn Product, exp. 8-31-10 (P&G 08/01/10]

1 Emerald Cashew Snacks (pg. 3) $10/$10 = $1/1
- $1/1 Emerald Nuts, exp. 9-26-10 (RP 08/15/10) = FREE

1 Wheat Thins (pg. 3) $10/10 = $1/1
- $1/1 Wheat Thins Printable (Facebook coupon) = FREE

Total before coupons = $10.93 + tax (??)
- $3 (in MFC)
- $7.99 ECB (Blink) from last week (Purchase #1)
Total OOP $0 + tax
(Remember to scan Green Bag Tag! - Scan #1)
Earn $6.99 ECB for Philips

So, I'll end the week with last week's (2) $2 ECBs for Listerine, (3) $2.50 ECB for Crest, (1) ECB for Green Bag Tag. This week I'll earn (1) $6.99 ECB for Philips. I'll have paid nothing OOP (ie. not used my gift card).


EXTRA NOTES:
I'm not going to put this into a scenario for 1 main reason: If you shop RA (and most of you do), then you probably already have a mountain of these that you have gotten for FREE. But for those of you who don't shop Rite Aid, here's the deal: (And for those of you who are new to couponing, you are allowed to use only 1 MFC per item. You can not use 2 MFC on the same item. When using a B1G1 coupon, that coupon only applies to the item you are getting free. You have to buy the other item to be allowed to use the coupon on the free item. That is why you are allowed to use a separate MFC on the item that you are "buying." You would not be allowed to use a B1G1 coupon with a coupon for $1/2 - because you would need to buy 2 to get $1 off. You could, however, buy 3 items and use both coupons.)

4 Oral-B Manual Toothbrush (pg. 12) 1 pk. (psa $2.99/1) (Look for Oral-B Advantage) $3.79/1 = $15.16/4
- 2 B1G1 Oral-B Manual Brush Single Pack, exp. 9-30-10 (RP 08/15/10) = $7.58/4
- 2 $1/1 Select Oral-B Products, exp. 8-31-10 (P&G 08/01/10) = $5.58/4
- $5 ECB wyb $10 (Limit 2) = $0.58/4 ($0.15/1)

And, keep saving those SoBe coupons! The B1G1 deal will be back on 9/5/10 to 9/11/10 (next week!).

2 Sobe Water B1G1 = $1.69/2 ?
-B1G1 free coupon Printable (play the game) = FREE
(Remember that a B1G1 coupon with a B1G1 sale = 2 FREE)
(You can play the game once per day. Then print each coupon twice! If you play every day, you should be able to earn enough B1G1 coupons for a lot of FREE SoBe's!)

No comments:

Post a Comment